Upholstery Cleaning Codes
Understanding upholstery cleaning codes can be a challenge.
If you look on the item’s tag, you’ll likely see cleaning codes designed by the letters W, S, WS or X. But what are these letters code for?
Those cleaning codes tell you which cleaning products to use to clean the fabric safely. Since they’re not exactly self-explanatory, here is an upholstery cleaning codes translation so that you can do the dirty jobs safely and successfully.
1. Upholstery cleaning code w: Furniture cleaning code W tells you to safely clean that sofa or chair, use a water-based cleaner.
A water-based cleaning agent can be anything from a little foam from mild detergent mixed with water to one of the nonsolvent fabric cleaning products you’ll find at the grocery store.
Use as little foam and water as possible to do the job; you don’t want to get the fabric too wet.
2. Upholstery cleaning code s: Furniture cleaning code S tells you to clean without water, using a dry cleaning solvent. Use just a little and make sure you have plenty of ventilation.
3. Cleaning code ws: Furniture cleaning code WS tell you you can use a dry-cleaning solvent, the foam of a mild detergent, or upholstery shampoo to spot clean safely.
4. Cleaning code x: Furniture cleaning code X tells you: Don’t go there.
Clean this fabric ONLY by vacuuming or light brushing to prevent accumulation of dust or grime.
5. Deciphering furniture wearability codes. Bet you didn’t even know there was a furniture wearability code. There is.
In addition to the cleaning code, furniture manufacturers add a wearability code to items to help consumers gauge how well they can expect a particular fabric to hold up under regular use.
When you’re shopping for furniture, ask the salesperson about the wearability of the various fabrics. Then choose the one that will take the most abuse.
6. hd = heavy duty furniture. This is what you want in your family room.
7. md = medium duty furniture. Reserve this until your kids are out of the toddler stage.
8. ld = light duty furniture. This is rather delicate fabric that is definitely not kid proof. Use it for entertaining.
9. dd = delicate duty furniture. Do we need to even discuss this one? If you have a room that’s off-limits to kids and pets, buy this piece.